Sunday, February 10, 2013

Opportunities

Greetings from South Sudan!  Things here have remained busy and hot!  The past couple of weeks have included a vocation camp, youth seminar about ways to improve our oratory (where we play all of the sports and games), and also 3 different celebrations for the feast of Don Bosco!  As usual, every celebration and program we have allows me to deepen my relationships with the wonderful people here as they teach me more about their simple and joy-filled lives.

Since the school started back up almost a month ago, we have been having some issues with attendance.  We have 28 students enrolled and we probably average about 15-18 people a day.  There are also some students who haven't been back yet as they are still on their own personal holiday break.  For some, they have been unable to get transport from where their families are back to the friend or relative they live with in Juba.  For a very select few, they just don't want to come back.  However, it is the complete opposite for those who do come to school. as they are filled with a desire to learn and improve their lives.  Education is the only way they will be able to live a good life and help their family members and people of South Sudan.  This spirit has really gotten a hold of my heart and I have been spending a lot more time and energy in the school because of it.  My heart jumps when they want to know more about something, or they complete a crossword puzzle and throw their hand in the air with a huge smile and scream "I'm done!"  We have also started writing letters back and forth to students in America and it was such an amazing moment when the first replies came in earlier this week.  Their smiles, laughter and curiosity filled my heart with joy as the entire class gathered and read the letters out loud.  I also led a debate this past Friday and the topic I gave them was the death penalty.  They did very well and it was very interesting, as African culture is naturally VERY heavy on the pro side(as expected in a country that has seen nothing but war for the last 50 years).

Anyway, one of the students answers that opposed the motion really got me thinking.  She said "God has given us freedom and we have to forgive them.  He sent Jesus so Jesus can take away our sins, we must do the same."  She went on to also mention St. Paul, his past, his conversion and how everyone can change.  She concluded with "people are supposed to be a positive benefit and help our people of South Sudan and they need the opportunity to be able to do that."

While her argument struck me in a lot of ways, I've been thinking a lot about the last words "the opportunity to be able to do that".  I have been blessed with so many wonderful opportunities.  Some I have taken full advantage of, some I have taken but not given my all, others I have not taken at all and let them pass.  Every moment is an opportunity to make a difference in somebody's lives, both the lives of others and your own.  My students have taught me that each moment is an opportunity to change somebody's day (as they have done for me countless times) by a simple smile, asking how they are and truly meaning it, singing and dancing, just enjoying the life you have and using every opportunity to enjoy it.  There is no greater opportunity than the present moment, and every moment is an opportunity to truly love, truly live, truly learn from the blessing of education, and truly make both yourself and the people around you better.  Thank you students and people of South Sudan for this wonderful lesson and opportunity.

God bless!




1 comment:

  1. There's a line in The King and I that says something like, As a teacher by your pupils you'll be taught. And a lot of teachers have found that's true. Keep up the great work of Salesian presence and love for the young!

    ReplyDelete