Saturday, September 22, 2012

Learn, Teach, Learn

Greetings from Gumbo!  This week, I have officially become an English teacher in the secondary school (essentially high school)!  It is quite different here than in America.  The students are very eager to learn as secondary school is seen as such a privilege in South Sudan and completition of secondary school puts you way ahead from an educational standpoint.  To give you an idea, we have over 400 young people in the primary school (K-8), and there are 28 students in the secondary school.  However, it is the first year the secondary school is open so the numbers will hopefully grow over time as we continue to establish ourselves in the community.  The students are a wide range of ages, anywhere from 15-30.  So far this year, they have learned about misspelled words, antonyms, and abstract nouns.

One of the most difficult things thus far, especially in the classroom, has been the language barrier.  While everyone speaks English, I was told by the class that I need to speak "African English, as my American English is too difficult to understand."  I have difficulties understanding them as well and we usually laugh it off when our accents get in the way of strong communication.  It makes it very difficult to explain concepts and definitions, as I use a synonym to explain the definition of one word, only to find out they don't know the definition of the synonym!  It has been a while since I have not broken down the English language this much in a long time and it is another reminder how much I take for granted!     

The first week as a teacher has taught me so much, much more than I have taught them!  I have been reflecting on the language barrier and difficulties in getting my point and message across to them.  I try a variety of things- analogies, pictures, I slow down my speech, but nothing seems to work.  The problem isn't because they aren't listening (at least most of the time they are listening) or because I am doing a bad job of explaining the meaning behind my message.  It is because they don't know, me, my "American English", my style of teaching, or my personality.  However, in time, we will get used to each other and our ways and it will create open and effective communication between us to foster a greater learning environment!

This leads to my reflection for the week- does God feel the same way I do as a teacher sometimes?  Does he get frustrated when he tries and tries to tell us of so many marvelous things in so many ways, but I am not listening?  Or do I not get the message because I do not truly KNOW Him and His ways.  This has led me to really "open my eyes to see, and open my ears to listen" this past week and look for God everywhere, because He is everywhere.  I have also been reading the Bible a lot more this week (which is definitely a weak point in my faith) to try to get to Jesus and His ways more.  I am reminded of a catchphrase from an old MTV show- "You may think you know, but you have no idea.  This is the true life of..."  This is the true life with my relationship with God.
To close, this week has brought even more unique learning opportunities outside the classroom!  I have started to learn how to drive a motorcycle, I have picked up guitar again after some time away, and even learned how to properly eat with my hands (there are rules)!  I must say it was one of the most interesting and interactive meals ever!  We also attended a concert put on by the pre-schoolers, which was an hour of smiling from ear to ear.  It is amazing how the innocence and joy of a child can make such a big difference in a day and a life.

May God bless you all! 


1 comment:

  1. Luke, thank you for the fine reflection to go along with your "adventures" for the week. May God prosper you, your kids (including the 20-somethings), your ministry.

    ReplyDelete